Buyer's Guide to Powerbags
Before deciding which powerbag, also known as sand bag, you want to purchase, you should take the following points into account so that your toning accessory will help you achieve the goals you have set for yourself. Powerbags are the perfect complement to your routine and allow you to perform a wide variety of exercises easily without having to change machines or objects.
Using powerbags for exercise
The use of powerbags for toning or muscle building is becoming more and more widespread as they are an alternative to weights. In addition, as it is a free weight, this creates instability when lifting which means that the stabilizing muscles have to work. Therefore, it is widely used in high performance disciplines, such as crossfit, to work both your strength and technical gesture.
With this accessory you can work both upper and lower body at the same time and it is so versatile that it gives you the option to do a wide variety of exercises.
Recommended exercises with the powerbag
As for the possibilities of exercises that offer the powerbags, these are very broad as they allow you to train your whole body and add intensity to your workout.
- Squats with powerbag: doing squats with this accessory allows you to train more parts of your body in a single movement. All you have to do is lift the bag from the ground by bending your knees and performing the squat.
- Rowing with powerbag: if you are looking to train your back, instead of using a rowing machine or dumbbell you can do the same movement with a powerbag, increasing the intensity as you wish by adding more or less weight.
- Explosive squats: a variation of squats are explosive squats. This exercise is performed by hugging the bag tightly and doing a squat to the lowest position you can reach and following it with an explosive jump.
- Burpees with powerbag: although burpees can be done without accessories, adding weights can intensify their result.
- Lunges with powerbag: Lunges can be performed by placing your bag in front of you, holding it with both arms, and also behind you, resting it on your shoulders.
- Leg lifts with powerbag: another use you can give to the bag is as a weight to work your buttocks and legs by placing it on your hips and performing lifts.
- Deadlift with powerbag: if you want to perform deadlifts both for beginners with lower weights and for advanced users, doing it with a powerbag is a good option. With its built-in grip you can do the exercise more easily and progressively add difficulty.
- Clean with powerbag: to strengthen your arm muscles, the clean exercise is a great option. The sand in the bags makes the exercise you perform more challenging and the grips on your accessory will allow you to do it the right way. As you increase your strength or the number of repetitions you are able to perform you can increase the weight you can use in the exercise. It is advisable to start with the lowest weight and work your way up to the maximum you can lift.
As you can see there are many exercises that you can adapt and perform with a single accessory. In addition to these there are many more exercises that can be done, so the powerbags offer alternatives to machines and dumbbells so you can vary your routines.
Care of powerbag materials
There are many different models of powerbags on the market, and the characteristics vary greatly, so it is necessary to choose one that meets our requirements.
Quality of the bag materials:Generally the bag is made of very resistant nylon, but it is important for all the stitching of the bag, straps and grips to be strong and secure, for the product life of the powerbag to be as long as possible.
Number and location of grips:Powerbags have straps which are held during workouts. Although nearly all models have grips parallel to the length of the bag and another at each of the ends. There are models that also have perpendicular grips and at both ends, which makes it possible to do more exercises without generating extra tension in the joints.
Grip Material:There are two types of grips for powerbags, those with straps and those with thicker and anti-slip straps, which make them safer and more comfortable when training.
What is the ideal power bag weight for me?
The weight of your powerbag will depend on what your goal is. You should not use the same weight if your goal is to tone or define your muscles for example. In addition, there are no strict rules as to the weight you should choose, as this varies according to the physical constitution of each person. The powerbag can weigh up to 40 kg, but the normal weight ranges from 5 kg to 25 kg. It will be good to have different weights so that you can increase and progress as time goes by.